Pressing onwards

As with my previous post, I am having trouble putting the photos on the blog. I will try and upload them separately. Like last time II will upload them in a separate post. They will be in chronological order - beginning with Villafranca del Bierzo, then to Sarria, the walk from Sarria to Portomarin, then the cold wet day to Palas de Rei. 

I was fortunate in Villafranca del Bierzo in having good weather while I recovered from Covid. This meant that I could toddle into town, don a mask, and sit outside to eat in the cold. One day I was even able to sit in sunshine, which was a bonus. My host was very kind, offering to take me to the doctor, but he didn't need to, as apart from an increase in my cough which is regularly with me, I had no symptoms. Or so I thought. I had been VERY itchy with hives for some days, and consulting Dr Google (I only consult this Dr when oI am in foreign country, and can't make myself understood) on impulse I discovered that, for some, this can be a symptom. Apart from these (the hives) continuing, and driving me nuts, I am now fine, though being very careful to take things slow and steady.

After recovering I decided it would not be prudent to tackle a mountain stage and thus caught the bus to Sarria, which is the official start point for those pwanting to obtain a compostela at the end of the journey.   

Having missed several busses by just a few minutes I eventually arrived at my room around 10pm, almost as tired as if I had walked the mountain stage. My first day back on the road began comfortably - dry, and at times sunny, though as the day wore on there were ominous black clouds hovering! The bonus was they hovered, and didn't drop their bundle. I am guessing the the very strong wind blowing at my back was what kept the clouds just away so anyone on the road didn't get wet. I took this day, with warnings of over exertion leading to long covid ringing in my ears, very slow and steady.

It is interesting walking this last leg (or I should say, last 100kms) to Santiago. The path has been spruced up, this being for the holy year presumably. Whereas years ago the path, 1 or 2 people wide, often went parallel to the road, now has been taken off road altogether. I am assuming that this is a safety measure to protect the thousands of extra pilgrims walking for the holy year. The other thing that to me stands out is how much more prosperous this part of Galicia seems. This is a really rural part of Spain, very dependent on small farms. The Camino has been good to the villages on the way - buildings, rather than appearing run down and perhaps uninhabited, have been restored, rebuilt and developed. Whereas previously the way went through villages, or hamlets, with no infrastructure for pilgrims, now almost every place has accommodation and even the occasional bar. There are even a number of farms that have put vending machines in their sheds so pilgrims can buy a snack or a drink. Having said that, none of these places were open - closed for the season. 

Today was a very similar day - except for the weather. Wet, cold, windy. The rain was constant, and with such a strong wind I wasn't able to put up my brolly. The villages were looking prosperous, and as I passed albergues I had stayed in previously, I couldn't help but be amazed at the number of albergues, many of them very large, that have appeared since the last time I was here.













































































































































Comments

  1. Agh, Covid. What a shame and here's to it having minimum impact on your adventure. Listen to that body and rest when it tells you to....end of advice :) Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I am back to normal now, apart from my hives, which are getting under control, though Dr Google says they can linger for up to two weeks. Anti itch cream has worked wonders. And yes, I think it has minimal impact - I slept a lot - but that was because, stuck in my room, there wasn't anything else to do!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your informative updates and lovely photos. Glad your health is continuing to improve. Blessings for a wonderful rest of trip and for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two days of walking

The ascent and descent from Rabanal del Camino.

The Camino Inglés