Two days of walking

It is cold, and, so far, often misty, sometimes such a heavy mist that I have had to resort to using the umbrella. Today the forecast was for rain, and so I began the day with my rain pants on.  However, the rain didn't eventuate, and I was spared having to don my raincoat.
                             Everything was seen through misty eyes.

Back to the beginning, and yesterday, where I managed  to walk 22 kilometres to Villar de Mazarife.  I had planned to stay in a different albergue this time but it wa closed for the night and so I went to Albergue Jesús where I had stayed twice before. It was here that I met my first two pilgrims - Jo from South Africa, and Mark from Spain. I knew they were ahead of me as I had been following their fresh footprints all day.
                             Jo, from South Africa, and Mark, from Spain. 

It was such a joy to be on the road again, even with the cold and mist.  The first part of the way is through the suburbs, and some industrial areas.  The footpath was difficult to walk on with a steep camber to the road and it felt like I was walking lopsided for the first 8 or 9 kilometres!  Before reaching the industrial area the path diverged uphill,  past a lot of bodegas.  I had forgotten that they were there.
                              Bodegas on the outskirts of Léon.

Passing through the village, or is it a suburb?, of Trobajo del Camino I found the first church, and thus far the only one, open.  I took some minutes and went in for a sing, after adjusting my eyes to the gloom.  It was very much a "Santiago" church with images of St James, the warrior,  and shells.  It is a lovely little church and I don't have any recollection of it being open on previous visits. 
As the first day, the 22 kms was, for me, arduous.   I was conscious of my foot, and the dull discomfort, and took it slow and steady, reaching the albergue with no deterioration, and in fact today there have been times when I had no discomfort at all. 

Tonight I am in one of my favourite villages - Hospital del Órbigo.  This is the village that has a massive medieval bridge and a story to go with it.  In medieval times a knight decided his love for a maiden was un-requited (she didn't know about it!) and needed to show something for it.  He told the church authorities, put an iron collar around his neck, and challenged all knights to a dual which was to be fought on the bridge.  Knights came from near and far and after a month he felt he had been vindicated, removed the iron collar, giving it to the Bishop before continuing to Santiago!  There are re-enactments of medieval jousting tournaments held in the village.
                             The medieval bridge at Hospital del Órbigo. 
                             The church in Hospital del Órbigo. 

I had a big treat today.   As I walked into the village, the path took me past a water tower atop of which were a couple of storks.  As I walked towards them they even treated me to their distinctive "clacking" call.  Walking further, I saw a few more storks on top of one of the churches.  
                                                 Storks 
Distance covered today was only 14 kms, and more or less flat.  At the beginning the road was so straight that the few cars coming towards me took minutes from first seeing them passing me.

There were several picnic spots like this today.  I didn't rest the first time as the seats were wet.  Passing this one, the penny dropped that with my rain pants on I wouldn't get a wet backside!  Interesting plastic seats - I suspect recycled plastic. 


Comments

  1. Great to be on a camino with you once again. Just as grey and wet here today so you're not missing any summer.....yet! Happy travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I've heard it's quite cold too - but not as brusque as here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fog and drizzle has its own beauty. Ask Charles Dicken's first three pages of Bleak House

    ReplyDelete
  4. It certainly has its own beauty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ascent and descent from Rabanal del Camino.

The Camino Inglés