Melide - home of pulpo.

Yesterday and today have been shorter days. It was either that or one loooong day - I opted for the 2 short days, leaving Palas de Rei after breakfast, and in light drizzle. It was not long before I could put my brolly away, where it stayed for the rest of the day's journey. I think that the wind was so fierce that it kept pushing the clouds back, keeping the rain away.

The path led through small villages, picturesque, but with only one bar open the entire way. This part of Spain is showcase of the traditional granaries called Horreos. I stopped to take a photo of one massive one with a church in the background. As I reached it, the church I mean, I saw it was open and so went in for a sing and a sello (the stamp in the credecial). The elderly custodian was delighted when I burst into Amazing Grace, giving me a clap when I finished. He then insisted that I skirt around the edge of an obviously precious rug to take a photo of the altar. The gap had no "turn around" space, and so I had to back out carefully so I didn't knock anything with my pack! I left a donation for the sello, and continued on my way, happy that I had collected my extra sello (we need to show that we have collected 2 a day in order to get a compostela at the end of the journey), and that I had been able to sing.  

The weather had improved to such an extent that I even, at times, had sunshine on the last leg into Melide. As I was walking I had a phone call from Jo who had decided she was going to do a marathon sprint and come on to Melide. It is her birthday tomorrow and she wanted to celebrate with friends. I didn't see her that night, but I had breakfast with her and some others and was able to wish her happy birthday. 

I am still having difficulty loading photos on the posts and so the next post will have photos only of : 
Leaving Palas de Rei 
The path on the way to Melide
The church and Horreo where I had a sing
Christmas lights in Melide 
Leaving Melide the next morning.

I haven't posted for a while because it is quite disheartening not being able to do it properly, and this way each posts seems to take forever. I am well, and am back on the road after having a lovely 
Chrismas - but more of that next time.






































































































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two days of walking

The ascent and descent from Rabanal del Camino.

The Camino Inglés