Astorga and Rabanal del Camino

Yesterday began with a slight drizzle, and I began with rain pants on, raincoat off, and umbrella up.  By the time I got to the outskirts of Hospital de Órbigo I had decided this was not a good plan!  I stopped, removed my hi-vis "monkey see", put on my raincoat and back on with the "monkey see", put the umbrella up, and set off again. 
Leaving Hospital del Órbigo 
A Spanish pilgrim passing me.

My feet started off dry, and stayed that way for about 8 kms, but by the end of the day they were sodden, and I was squelching my way to Astorga.  To my delight, despite not using plastic bags and dry sacks as insurance everything in my pack was bone dry, sadly not the case for some fellow pilgrims who spent considerable time drying out their clothes.  

What could be seen of the way was lovely, and the heavy mist made for some ethereal views.  There was no wind fortunately (I could keep my brolly up!), until the last hour or so on the approach to Astorga, but the rain kept up a constant drum beat on the umbrella.   It was much like a downpour on an iron roof!

Astorga is lovely.  Famous for it's chocolate, it looked very special decorated with Christmas lights.  Astorga is the market town for the Maragata people.  They are people who were once muleteers and marketeers, and historically their houses reflect the use of the mules.
The Cathedral at Astorga 

The pilgrim family grew in Astorga.   As well as Mark and Jo there were three Italians, one American and one Norwegian.   They are nowhere in site here in Rabanal, having pushed on, but tonight I share the albergue with Mai from Taiwan,  and another young man also from Taiwan, and though staying elsewhere, I had the company of an Irishman over dinner.
Jo and Mark outside the Astorga Albergue

Today the walk to Rabanal del Camino has been pleasant indeed.  It is a steady climb from Astorga, but not arduous, particularly as I was able to stop in bars for a coffee and snack twice - always a bonus!  Rabanal sits at 850 metres altitude and tomorrow I have a climb to the highest point on this Camino - around 1,500 metres.  There were however no distant views today as mist shrouded the hills, and rain did threaten, without eventuating, thankfully. 
The path
and more mist!
The Church door at El Ganzo
The path heading into Rabanal
The albergue at Rabanal ....
... and inside the famous ancient church at Rabanal.  I went to the evening mass where the monks sing Gregorian chants.

It is time now to insert some photos, and then head for bed and some rest.

Comments

  1. Stunning photography.
    Maybe winter has more to offer than often considered

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love walking in the winter, and yes, can get some good photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So enjoying all of your commentary and photo's Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trevor & I have great memories of going to an evening mass at that church in September 2012!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two days of walking

The ascent and descent from Rabanal del Camino.

The Camino Inglés